Short Answer Questions - Act 3, Scene 1
1. When Cleomenes says "fertile the isle/the temple much surpassing", what is he referring to? Cleomenes is refering to the divine home of the gods, as he departs from Greece and returns to Siclia.
2. In what city is the Oracle located? The Oracle is located in Delphos.
3. In what country is the Oracle located? the Oracle was located in Greece.
4. How many characters speak in Act three, scene one? In Act Three, Scene One, two chracters share a dialogue.
5. What is one of the topics of conversation between the men in Act three, scene one? One of the topics of conversation between the men in Act Three, Scene Two was the charges against Hermoine and the importance of proving her innocence.
6. What do the men, in Act three, scene one, want the Oracle to say? The men hope that the Oracle proves the Queen Hermione's innocence.
7. How do the men, in Act three, scene one, say the journey to the Oracle is? The men state that the journey was very "celestial" as it surprised their senses.
8. Act three, scene one offers more support for the proposition that the king is the only person who thinks that Hermione is what? Act Three, Scene does show that the King's subjects have disregarded his claim that the Queen is an adultress and they dismiss the claims especially because proof is insufficient.
9. Who is the God the Oracle is dedicate to? The Oracle is dedicatd to the Great Apollo.
10. What does "Apollo's great divine seal" refer to? "Apollo's great seal" refers to the judgement that has been passed by the Oracle that will reveal the truth.
11. At the end of Act three, scene one, what do the men get to make their journey home faster? The men acquire horses to make their journey more rapid.
12. What do the men, in Act three, scene one, think of forcing faults on Hermione? The men find the faults forced on Hermoine to be ludicrous, and highly dislike the claims that are being forced upon their Queen by the King.
Short Answer Questions - Act 3, Scene 2
1. What does Leontes call for at the beginning of the trial? Leontes calls for "the prisoner", his wife and Queen, Hermione.
2. What is one of the charges laid against Hermione at her trial? One of the charges laid against Hermione is that she conspired with Camillo to take King Leontes' life.
3. What does Hermione think is sufficient proof of her innocence? Hermione thinks that her behaviour prior to Polixenes visit is sufficient proof of her innocence.
4. What does Hermione say makes her life not worth living? The accusation against makes her life not worth living as she has lost teh comfort of her children and her husband.
5. Hermione tells her husband that his accusations exists only where? His accusation only exist in his dreams.
6. Who reads, at the trial, what the Oracle says? An officer reads.
7. How does the Oracle characterize Leontes? Leontes is characterized as a jealous tyrant.
8. What does the king live without, according to the Oracle, if that which is lost be not found? The King will live without an heir.
9. Who tells the king that Mamillius dies? A servant gives the news.
10. What does Hermione do when she hears the news that Mamillius dies? Hermione swoons.
11. Who tells the king that the queen dies? Paulina tells the King of Hermione's death.
12. How many times does Leontes say he visits the graves of his wife and son? He promises to visit their graves once everyday.